Tuesday, February 3, 2009

If You're Broke, Go Veggie


In light of what's going on with the never-ending job losses across the nation, I was a member of the UC - Unemployment Club from October and finally got a job last month - To God be the Glory! I'd like to share with you a new revelation. I could've come up with so many excuses as to why I should not participate in this veggie challenge. Don't know what to buy, it's too hard; don't know how to cook those meals, that doesn't look kosher [pun intended] etc. etc. Truth be told, I've been excited about this challenge since Shake & Bake sent me that last minute email, but I digress.

The one thing I couldn't really say was 'I can't afford to go on a vegetarian plan'. The reason I was able to avoid expensive Christmas trips, extravagant Inaugural Balls, and a lavish birthday party was simply I didn't have the dinero! I could class it up and say I'm on a tight budget, but you know the deal.

If any of you have been bold enough to take a look at your monthly expenses, you can't help but wonder, I spent how much on food?!? Eating out is a budget killer, but cooking your own food is still a close cousin. Stay with me, I'm going somewhere with this.

However, if you decide to go vegetarian all you have to do is walk in your local grocery store and walk down the colorful aisles of fresh produce. I particularly like Grand Mart but there's a warning ahead. Their produce is always fresh though and it won't break the bank folks. You can get a pound of apples, a bunch of bananas, and a bag of grapes all for less than 10 bucks! You can have fruit salad for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! LOL What more can you ask for? Healthy, affordable, and no cooking required! Sounds good to me!

Warning: the people who shop at Grand Mart have no manners! Expect to bump into peeps frequently and throw dem 'bows. One other thing, barely anyone speaks English, so be careful what you ask for, there's no telling what tempeh translates to in another language.

Regardless, when all you have is a few bucks and feeling hungry, hit the produce aisle at a grocery store near you.

1 comment:

  1. That's so true McD's. I went to the asian grocery the other day and got a bunch of colorful greens, reds, purple veggies in my cart for half the price at Safeway or Giant. Eating this way is definitely cheaper...now I just gotta figure out a way to make it more filling! :o] I'm still feeling hungry after meals on this diet...

    or is it just me?

    ReplyDelete