Sunday, February 15, 2009

It's about time

Awwright, I'm finally getting my bearings. Although, i'm approaching this challenge a little differently than the last. This time rather than trying to rid my life of all meat, sugar, salt, ect..., I'm looking for a balance. I think the reason many of us pigged out on meat and have barely cooked tofu since last 30 day challenge is that we looked at it as a hinderance rather than a possible life change. This time, I'm minimizing meat tremendously for the 60 day period but I'm also looking to find a comfortable balance with sugar, salt, etc. that I can keep up for the long term. For those of us planning to have kids at some point (or those who already have them), these exercises in restraint are very timely. As we know, kids tend to eat what their parents eat. So if kids health (and that whole staying alive thing) are important to us, we need to find that balance now rather trying to figure it out at the last minute.

With that in mind, I tried something new....sweet and sour tofu. Basically, you make it the same way you would fried chicken.

Cut extra firm tofu into chunks
season the chunks to taste
dip in flour or shake in sandwich bag of flour
fry in deep frying pan with vegatable oil until chunks have a nice brown to them
remove and drain oil
pour sweet and sour sauce over tofu and add sesame seeds.

I found that I needed at least two packs of extra firm tofu to make it last more than one meal. Due to the consistency of tofu, the flour won't stick the same way it would to chicken, so that should help keep the carbs down.

enjoy,
Dre'

No comments:

Post a Comment