Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My 2 Pennies


 

Good evening ladies and gents…first off, I'd like to say it's great being on this quest with all of you. Knowing that I'm not alone in this mission definitely makes it a bit easier to manage. The last 30 Day Plan totally changed my eating. Since then I haven't kept any meat in the house. Have I eaten meat? Sure….but it's for the most part been saved as a delicacy for when I eat out. I love meat too much to become full vegetarian and I believe that if you love it, you should enjoy it…in moderation. So as far as everyday eating, much of the time I'm meatless except for those moments where I get lazy and just grab something or when I feel like 8going out and savoring some chicken or a steak or what have you. And it's time likes these "breaks" from meat that make me realize just how dependent on meat I was at one time. Most days I don't even miss it.

But onto the real topic of this post…

Want something that's as tasty as butter or margarine but more healthy and nutritious?

Want something that spreads like mayonnaise but is totally plant based and not nearly as fattening?

Need something to spice up those bland steamed veggies or that salad?

Well, people, I introduce to some of you, HUMMUS!!!

I was introduced to hummus about 6 or 7 years ago, and I haven't looked back since. I love to put it in my vegetables and sometimes even in my beans, on salads, on sandwiches, pretty much anything.

It's great with your meal but also can be a great snack. Some hummus, with a dab of olive oil with some pita bread hits the spot just right and fills your tummy, not to mention it's chock full of good fats.

The main ingredients in hummus are chickpeas and tahini aka sesame paste. While I buy my hummus, because I'm lazy, you can easily make your own and pretty much flavor it how you want.

It can be a bit of an acquired taste, but I'm quite sure most of you won't mind it. So if you haven't tried it, give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment